Thursday, October 25, 2007

So I've had better ideas..

OK, so I like to run. I try to do it at least four times a week over my lunch break. I head over to the gym, watch my soap opera, and get a good run in. So yesterday was no different than any other day. I trudge over to the gym at lunch and head for the bathroom to change. Except I notice I have TWO shirts and no shorts. Nice. That ain't gonna work. (Keep in mind that last week, I got to the gym with one pair of shorts and a freaking pair of underwear. Yep, evidently I have my head stuck so far up my ass I can now wear underwear as a shirt.)

I have to leave the gym without getting my run in. BAH. I do not like this, not one bit. I decide I'll run when I get home - I like to run when the weather is nice and cool anyway. Except when I get home, I've got three kids needing something or another and a husband who is really in a foul mood. By the time I am finally able to run, it is dark out. And I mean, can't-see-your-hand-in-front-of-your-face dark. Luckily, Mr. Who is gone, otherwise he would have never let me leave the house alone. He's kind of paranoid like that.

I take off into the night, armed with just my Ipod - oh, and a can of pepper spray. Mr. Who gave me the pepper spray about a hundred years ago, not even sure what to do with it, but I probably could have beat someone over the head with it at the very least.

Running in town was fine. There are street lights. But my town is pretty small. So I was going to have to venture outside city limits. Fine, no problem. As I start my run down one of our county highways, I notice there are NO LIGHTS. None. A flashlight probably would have been a better idea than the pepper spray at this point. Oh well, I trudge along.

I'm actually enjoying my pitch black run. There aren't a lot of cars, but every time one does happen to pass me by, I panic thinking I'm about to be kidnapped. At one point on my deserted highway run, I realize cars and potential kidnappers are not my problem. Wild animals are going to be my problem.

It is harvest season which means every animal that was on the ark is running out of the fields at a break neck pace. And I can't see my hand in front of my face. What the hell am I going to do when a raccoon or a skunk or god forbid, a mouse cross my path?

I don't think I have ever run so fast in my life. I couldn't get to my front door fast enough. Wanna hear a funny? I think I'm going to do it again tonight. It was a great adreline rush!

2 comments:

Kate said...

And this is why I'm a city girl...

What is up with all the women who's blog I read liking to run??? Whatever happened to being lazy slugs ---- like me??

Sasha said...

Oh- I am loving running outside right now- 50 degrees is my friend! But the dark- not my thing. I'll stick to daylight! Be careful!