Thursday, October 4, 2007

So she'll wear diapers to the prom...

So The Princess has passed her third birthday and we still have a stock of diapers. This was not part of the plan. The Comedian and The Boy were both hard to train, but still had it figured out by their third birthday. The Princess was my last hope, she was going to be the brilliant one and have this figured out long before now. Who am I kidding, she knows she's the boss. Last night, she came to me and the following conversation transpired:

Princess: Mommy, I have to go potty.
Me: (ecstatic beyond belief, could this really be it?) - OK, let's get on the potty, Princess!
(Princess sits there for about 1.3 seconds and decides she is done).
Me again: Princess, are you sure you don't want to try some more?
Princess: Nope, I went. I'm all done.

She proceeds to walk about 3 steps out of the bathroom and announces, "Mommy, I just went pee in my pull-up!"
Me: WHY didn't you do that on the potty?
Princess: Because peeing in my pull-up makes my privates feel better.

Well, DUH! Why didn't I think of that? I think now it's pretty much inevitable that we will need to be stocking up on Depends for our distant future with her. A little backstory. She was trained - for a week or so. Right before her third birthday, I promised her a bike once she went on the potty. So we had a week or so of her going on the potty about once or twice a day much to her dismay. For some reason, she did not like to do this and it was a battle to get her to sit down for more than a half a second at a time. By the end of the week, we noticed that she had the ability to stay dry during the day, but was only pottying once or twice a day. Yes, Mr. Who and I both thought this was odd, but we figured we had a prodigy on our hands as she had some incredible control and obviously, a huge bladder. However, as the week progressed, she started to get whiny and clingy and just wasn't acting like herself. One day, she woke in the morning completely dry and stayed dry until about 5:00 in the afternoon. That's right folks, she had gone about 20 HOURS without peeing. How's that for control? Of course, at this point, she is freaking out, won't sit down on the potty, and Mr. Who and I are now convinced that she has some serious health issues, at a minimum. So I rush her to the ER (I can't take Mr. Who with me because he freaks out in situations like this). We get there, of course they need to cath her, because we all figure it's a UTI. They have to try TWICE to get the cath in, while I'm pinning her down and she's screaming uncontrollably (who wouldn't!) She begins to pee everywhere - all over the nurses, the table, herself. They catch some of this and test it. What do you know, she doesn't have a freaking THING wrong with her. The doctor tells me she is very strong willed and that I am to stop all training methods immediately, as she knows what she is doing and will only do it on her schedule. OK, it's pretty clear this doctor doesn't know me too well because when it comes to a battle of the wills, I do not lose. Especially to a three year old princess. BUT, because I am a good mommy, I listen to the doctor and we revert back to diapers. This was three months ago. She still is winning the battle.

4 comments:

Kate said...

That's hysterical and scary at the same time since I now have ONE more to freakin potty train. By the way, I'll save the seat next to me in Hell for you...I'm pretty sure the other one will be reserved for Sash!

Sasha said...

Am I being talked about behind my back? :-) Yes, I have one more to PT too- hope she is easier than The Politician was.... he was 3 before he'd even consider giving the potty a try.....

~Gretchen~ said...

one reason i loved adopting a 3.5 year old is that she came potty trained. very few people get how incredibly amazing that is

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.